Friday, April 10, 2009

Am I sweating the small stuff??


The boys had a great time on their "missions trip" and they did a lot of work around town, painting a battered women's shelter, landscaping a homeless shelter, etc. and they came home full of ideas to help people further. Neat, huh?!

Except! Russ told me that everynight after Praise and Worship, they had fun partying! The boys ran around the church property in their underwear, one boy mooned several people, and the worst thing: after making a kid go blindfold and spinning him around, etc. one boy practically sat on his face without his pants on!

I about freaked out. Russ kept defending the situation, saying everyone was having fun and the kid was laughing as much as everyone else, but I said, "Sure! He was laughing in front of everyone, but how do you know he wasn't screaming on the inside?! How do you know how he REALLY feels?! He must've been HORRIBLY embarrassed!" Russ insisted that they were just having fun, and mumbled that he shouldn't have told me. I told him that this was NO way for kids to act who are on a "missions trip", in a church, right after Praise and Worship time! He got quiet.

I know that boys will be boys, and that Russ thought it was so much fun to "party" like this, but I am just as mad as I can be. He said that there was a chaperone there, but he couldn't remember his name (sure!!), and he couldn't remember the group that he was in (uh, HUH!).

Am I overreacting to this??? Am I sweating the small stuff?? I tried to call the pastor in charge today, but because it's Good Friday, the office is closed.

I am seething over this and would like advice as to how to react. I try SO hard to keep my child sheltered from this kind of wild, lewd behavior and to have it happen in church under supervision, just fries me to no end. Eddie says that I need to let him be a boy and that boys do really wild things sometimes, but I just can't accept that.

Please leave advice for me in the comments section if you would. I'm dying to hear others' perspectives on this. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! It was my experience that church camps growing up were wilder than any other camps I attended. It sounds like some things haven't changed much.

    ReplyDelete